Tester - Interactive TV
The role of BBC TV & Radio Software Engineering is to create distinctive, world class content and services. We build and operate the BBC’s interactive applications and services on TV devices (i.e. Smart TV’s, Games consoles, IPTV streamers, PVRs etc.). Using the latest web technologies and world-class Engineering & Test practices we create compelling and increasingly personalised experiences that our audiences love.
Our department is based in Dock House at MediaCityUK in Salford, Greater Manchester where you will work with some of the UK’s most popular interactive services on televisions, shaping and implementing key functionality for the BBC’s iPlayer, Sport, News and Red button products.
Our people work in multi-discipline crews with Software Engineers, Testers, Product owners and Delivery working closely together in a respectful and collaborative environment. We encourage a culture of team empowerment and support your self-development.
We are looking for a proven Test Engineer to join the Platform Test team, to test on Interactive applications like BBC iPlayer and BBC Red Button services. Embedded in an agile development team, you will be working in a highly collaborative environment, proactively working with development teams in regularly delivering value to our large audiences. We work with the latest devices and platforms available, like connected TV's, Set-top boxes and Game Consoles.
This position requires a self-motivated individual who has good communication skills, is willing to own responsibilities including leading testing functional testing, test design and implementation of test plans and test cases, risk analysis and integration testing across various applications and services. Our services have the largest reach of any broadcast interactive service in the UK. Join us in creating new experiences that will help enrich the future of IPTV.
- Integrating with the Agile development team to provide efficient manual and automated testing throughout the entire development lifecycle.
- Effective testing performed for TV Applications and Services provided by BBC on various devices and platforms.
- Support and input into shaping the Test approach, planning, estimating and reporting.
- Raising descriptive, concise and useful defect reports.
- Troubleshooting TV products – verifying reported live issues, identifying their underlying cause and seeing them through to resolution, liaising with development and product management teams where appropriate.
- Provide support and inputs in making test statuses visible to the department.
- Input and support into test craftsmanship programme.
- Actively support agile development methods and best practices.
- Supporting change through experimenting and analysis to improve processes.
- Mentor junior team members
- Quickly acquire new testing and technical skills and working with new technologies with little support.
- Working with other testers and development teams to ensure the spread of good practices and sharing of knowledge.
- Carrying out tool evaluations and selections.
- Contribute to discussions and talks.
- Automating tests using well-structured maintainable code is desired.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable testing skills with experience in working with TV/Web applications and broadcast systems.
- Experience working in agile development teams. Kanban is highly desired.
- Ability to understand departmental strategy and balance it with audience experience, resources and technology constraints to regularly deliver value.
- Excellent aptitude for learning new technologies and ways of working.
- Ability to input and support in creation, adaptation and execution of effective test strategies
- Ability to think creatively, problem solve, and innovate
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Work closely and communicate clearly within cross-functional teams
- Ability to experiment, analyse and continually support in improving test practices.
- Good understanding of test automation and its value within agile delivery.
- Ability and experience of communicating effectively across all levels of the organisation, including experience in test planning and estimating.
- Good understanding of AWS and cloud technologies.
- Working knowledge of product/defect/test case management systems, preferably Jira
- An appreciation of good user experience and being prepared to be the users’ advocate
- A passion for technology, especially TV Products like Red Button services and iPlayer on TV.
- ISEB, ISTQB or Certified Agile Tester certification.
- Experience of testing applications on devices including TV, STB, Game Console, tablet and mobile using responsive designs and techniques.
- Experience of Agile, Kanban and Lean development practices including TDD and BDD, with hands-on experience.
- Up-to-date knowledge of test engineering trends and emerging technologies
- An understanding of the UK market landscape for digital TV and IPTV products.
Grade 7 (Proposed Band C)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.