We are seeking a professional and enthusiastic Test Engineer for a role within the BBC Taster and Connected Studio teams, part of the BBCs world-renowned Research and Development department. Youll be working as part of an agile team developing BBC Taster and supporting R&D engineers in other projects across the department.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in the BBC Taster development team. Taster (https://www.bbc.co.uk/taster) is a platform on which to try new ideas and demonstrate the value of BBC creativity from across the organisation. It is about creating a place where the BBC will develop ideas rapidly and be allowed to fail.
You will be working as part of a small agile team of engineers, UX designers and product managers, helping the team regularly deliver increments to the Taster site.
In addition there will be opportunities to help other teams in R&D develop their test approaches and bring projects to our audiences.
- Designing and executing effective functional tests and carrying out exploratory testing to assess product performance
- Support, implement and help shape the Test approach
- Contributing to processes and procedural improvements, around testing and other aspects of an agile software process
- Troubleshooting finding critical bugs or verifying reported issues, identifying their underlying cause and seeing them through to resolution liaising with other teams where appropriate
- Working with other development teams to ensure the spread of good practices and sharing of knowledge
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of and ability to design and execute effective tests
- Ability to make judgements on most valuable areas to test based on knowledge of web technology in general and on the domain and architecture of the system being tested
- Experience of applying an analytical and detail-orientated approach to problem solving and solution design
- Ability to work with developers to understand and advise on how automated tests fit with overall test strategy
- Ability to experiment, analyse and continually support in improving test practices
- Understanding of data formats such as JSON and XML and to be able to compare and manipulate data in these formats
- Understanding of databases, basic SQL and data APIs
- Working knowledge of CI systems and how to use them as part of a workflow
- Ability to use web debugging tools (e.g. Firebug, Chrome developer tools) to investigate issues
- An appreciation of good user-experience and being prepared to be the users/audience advocate
12 Months FTC / Attachment
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.