Tester/Senior Tester - Mobile Apps - News
The BBC News app team are looking for an experienced Senior Mobile App Tester and Mobile App Tester to assist in the delivery of exciting new features for our UK and global audiences. Joining the BBC News team is an opportunity to engage with an audience of millions of users across the globe every day. Currently our News app is available for Arabic, Hindi, Russian, Spanish and Welsh language users with more international sites in the pipeline.
Recent work includes a new experience around portrait video for phones; new apps for worldwide BBC audiences (including right-to-left languages); and the introduction of multivariant testing to aid product decisions. Additionally we’re working hard to make the app more intelligent and personal, and to deliver great user experiences around that theme.
We are seeking an individual who has a thorough understanding of testing native apps on iOS and Android platforms. You will have experience of implementing automated test frameworks and the appropriate test strategy to effectively support mobile app development teams. Furthermore, you should have the ability to engage with lead developers in order to ensure test standards are met and strategies are adhered to as well as collaborating to increase test coverage. Having a team approach is important to us, and we want new members to share this ethos.
We use an Agile process and aren’t afraid to adapt and change to fit what works best for us as a team. We encourage innovation in our approach to problem solving, whether that is the use of technology to create a bespoke test framework or introducing a new pragmatic way of working that improves efficiency. We are seeking an individual who is pro-active in bringing ideas to the team and is confident to take the lead rather than waiting for direction. You’ll have the opportunity to engage with test engineers across the BBC and tap into the wealth of knowledge and experience of an organisation serving a global audience.
Your immediate responsibility will be within the News app team. However you will be part of the bigger test team for News Product and Systems which is responsible for News and Weather sites as well as some production systems. We have a strong test team and are actively taking the lead in test innovation. We have lofty ambitions of setting the industry standard in how a test team can effectively and successfully support development teams using technology and bright new ways of working.
Learning is an important part of the role, and as a team member you’ll have access to BBC Academy training programmes, the opportunity to attend technology conferences, and other reasonable resources you find necessary to progress as a tester. Discussion of new ideas and practices is encouraged.
- Develop an automation test framework for the News mobile app using tools such as Appium, Espresso and Calabash.
- Pairing with developers to ensure we have a robust and well written suite of automated acceptance tests.
- Conducting analysis and using analytics in order to define an appropriate test approach.
- Taking ownership of the test strategy and providing valuable information to the product team in order for them to make informed product decisions.
- Contributing to discussions on test process and procedural improvements.
- Perform exploratory testing, reporting defects and providing progress reports during the test cycle.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skill List
- Ability to produce quality, reusable and maintainable automated tests.
- Ability to track down the root cause of a defect using debugging tools.
- Ability to pair with developers to implement Acceptance Tests.
- Understanding of BDD/TDD.
- Appium for both Android and iOS, Calabash and Espresso.
- Working knowledge of a Continuous Integration system to create builds, e.g. Hudson/GitHub.
- An understanding of tools such as Charles and Wireshark.
- Ability to understand business requirements and create acceptance tests, design test cases and create clear testing reports.
- Experience of Agile development, pairing and working within a collaborative team.
Desirable Skill List
- BDD test development using Page Object Model.
- Experience with Cloud architecture and the core AWS technologies.
- Engaged in the wider mobile application development community.
- Healthy interest in upcoming techniques and technology and an ability to describe to us something you're passionate about.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.