A wholly-owned commercial subsidiary of the BBC, BBC Studios is a global creative powerhouse for the development, production, and distribution of bold, British content. We produce over 2,500 hours of content per year, have offices in 22 markets globally, including seven production bases in the UK and production bases and partnerships in a further nine countries around the world. The business generates revenue of £1.4bn, returning around £200m profit to BBC Public Service each year. In the UK, BBC Studios enables audiences to enjoy their favourite BBC programmes and brands outside the licence fee-funded window on alternative platforms, through a range of partnerships, and in multiple formats, from products and magazines to events and experiences.
This is a new role, created to support the growth of brands activity, particularly in relation to Children’s brands, including BLUEY, the multi-award winning Australian children’s animation series for which BBC Studios is the global distributor.
The Trade Mark Paralegal will sit within the Content & Brand Protection team, part of the Business & Legal Affairs division at BBC Studios, reporting to the Senior Brand Lawyer. The Content & Brand Protection team works closely with colleagues across the global business, protecting the company’s key brands.
Working collaboratively with other members of the legal team and wider-BBC Studios business, you will undertake legal research to support title clearance exercises and trade mark applications and renewals undertaken on behalf of BBC Studios.
You will assist in reviewing trade mark watch notices and preparing declarations of use for renewals. Our Trade Mark Paralegal will prepare drafts of trade mark related documents such as basic cease and desist letters and assignments and evidence of use for trade mark oppositions and cancellations.
You will assist in enforcement procedures such as Customs recordals and online takedown work as well as provide administrative support including managing foreign trade mark agent invoices, maintaining databases and websites, trade mark budget spreadsheets, electronic and paper filing, and updating precedent documents.
The Ideal Candidate
At BBC Studios, we seek people who are passionate about who we are and what we do.
- A specialist qualification with proven post-qualification experience (1-3 years) in trade mark law and practice
- A familiarity with and a love for BBC brands and content
- An ability to communicate accurately, clearly, concisely, build and establish relationships and work supportively as a team member
- Good organisational skills and an ability to work accurately and effectively under pressure.
- Good computer literacy with skills across a range of IT packages, including Excel
- Some knowledge and experience of other IP related law and practice
This role would suit a CITMA qualified paralegal who already has 1-3 years of experience working in a trade mark attorney firm or law firm.
Location: TVC, London W12
We are really proud to share that we are a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer and so if you require any reasonable adjustments in order to apply please do contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org with ref: BBC/TP/2111749/54020 in the subject.
- Flexible / agile working - opportunities across the business
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be the best British content company in the world, attracting the best creative talents in the business, so that we can bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter where they are.
The BBC Group has set out the first in a new series of bold steps to transform our programming and better represent the public we serve. We have the biggest financial investment to on-air inclusion in the industry, together with our existing commissioning budget, we are committed to throwing open our doors more widely than ever to diverse stories and diverse storytellers. Together with a diverse workforce we will accelerate the pace of change in increasing diversity and inclusion both on and off air
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.