This is an important time for BBC leaders. Things are moving fast and there are new challenges all the time. The BBC needs leadership at every level that inspires people about our continuing purpose while responding to the need for innovation and reinvention.
There are a new set of Leadership Commitments which set out what’s expected from BBC leaders when it comes to clarity, creativity, developing others, taking responsibility, collaboration, delivering results and being inclusive.
The support and challenge provided by the BBC Leadership Development team is at the heart of this vision. We have launched three new pan-BBC leadership programmes which, for the first time are targeted at every leader in the BBC: emerging team leaders, established team leaders and senior leaders. The programmes are between 3 months and 6 months long and each one includes face-to-face events, online learning and one-to-one support. In addition, our team is responsible for coaching and mentoring and a range of learning available to every leader in the BBC. The leadership development team also works closely with HR colleagues in the divisions to help the right people get the right support at the right time. This includes supporting succession planning for senior leadership roles.
We are part of a wider group of people focused on New Talent and Careers as well as Leadership. Together we work collaboratively to share resources and ensure our activity is joined up.
As a Training Manager, you will focus primarily on developing and delivering Leadership Development programmes and supporting a wide range of associated activity across the BBC.
You will make sure that we run our leadership programmes in a responsive, relevant and effective way, and that our approach is focused on meeting the needs of current and future leaders at the BBC.
You will work flexibly across our training portfolio and will make relevant and informed decisions about leadership development activity.
You will also review processes constantly and respond strategically to the needs of participants. You will play a lead role in the delivery of learning and training in all its forms, and will look at the best ways of developing what we offer to achieve the biggest impact. To do that, you will use the appropriate mix of methods, techniques and platforms. You will also be expected to take on one-off and ongoing projects as they come up.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Working collaboratively and flexibly across the whole range of leadership development activity as required while taking on wider responsibilities within the combined Leadership, Careers and New Talent team.
- Confident, compelling and timely communication with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Making sure that we make the most of a full range of learning interventions to meet the needs of participants on programmes and every team leader across the BBC.
- Ensuring we respond in a timely, flexible and relevant way to feedback and strategic priorities.
- Facilitating training delivery and learning more generally – online and face-to-face – as required.
- Implementing and responding to evaluation data to inform continuous improvement
Are you the right candidate?
Our ideal candidate would have:
- A proven track record in the design and delivery of learning and development programmes with a focus on leadership
- A demonstrable professional commitment to learning and development generally and to coaching and mentoring specifically. You are likely to be an experienced coach, preferably a coach supervisor.
- Evidence of strong and principled judgement when dealing with and balancing longer-term challenges with day-today business issues.
- An evidenced ability to take the initiative to find innovative solutions to strategic challenges in a creative and collaborative way.
- First rate organisational skills with a particular focus on stakeholder management while dealing effectively with fast-moving change.
- A demonstrable commitment to diversity, inclusion and progression.
We are always keen to bring new thinking and experience into our team. For that reason, we are open-minded about the background of the successful candidate.
We particularly welcome applications from candidates with experience in one or more of these areas: organisational design, occupational psychology, leadership development and blended learning.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here