The BBC Philharmonic is based at MediaCityUK, Salford Quays, and performs an annual season of concerts at Manchester’s Bridgewater Hall, regular concerts in venues across the north of England and on international tours. The orchestra performs and records a wide range of repertoire, championing British composers, working with contemporary composers and with many artists across genres and styles as it explores and develops the role and versatility of the modern orchestra.
The BBC Philharmonic makes a number of appearances every BBC Proms season. The majority of the orchestra’s concerts are broadcast on BBC Radio 3 and during the ‘Philharmonic Presents…’ series, it can be heard on all national BBC networks. This reflects the collaborative and adventurous programming of the ensemble. A longstanding relationship with Chandos Records has seen more than 150 releases covering a diverse range of repertoire and several CD recordings each year.
The BBC Philharmonic is supported by Salford City Council, enabling the orchestra to build active links in the area through a busy learning and community programme. The orchestra works closely with the Greater Manchester Music Education Hub and the Royal Northern College of Music as well as other local and regional partners through its learning work.
Visit us at www.bbc.co.uk/philharmonic
Chief Conductor - Juanjo Mena
Chief Guest Conductor - John Storgards
Principal Guest Conductor - Ben Gernon
Composer in Association - Mark Simpson
Leader - Yuri Torchinsky
- To sit as Tutti Cello stepping up to No.3 Sub Principal Cello as required.
- To have excellent solo and orchestral playing abilities, maintaining the highest musical standards.
- To be an effective and committed team player and to play a full role in the life of the Orchestra.
- This job requires travelling throughout the UK and touring as well as evening and weekend work patterns.
- To be an effective and committed team player, demonstrating leadership as required, and to play a full role in the life of the Orchestra.
The Ideal Candidate
You will need to demonstrate:
- excellent professional orchestral playing abilities.
- knowledge of the range of repertoire of the BBC Philharmonic.
- ability to contribute to performances that will meet the highest artistic standards.
- ability to work effectively and flexibly within a diverse team environment.
- respect for others by being fully prepared and ready to play at the start of every session.
- awareness of health and safety issues.
For Careers Hub technical issues, please ring the Careers Hub Support team in the first instance on: 0370 024 3477
(NB: If possible, please do not include photographs on your CV.)
Auditions will take place on 6th June 2018
Please upload a CV without photographs or graphics, if possible.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.