At BBC UX&D we design experiences for the audience of tomorrow and deliver them to the audience of today. And we’ve won plenty of awards for our efforts.
We need a User Experience Designer to join our New Experiences (NEX) team who will support innovation projects, work with emerging technologies (XR) and enable us to deliver extraordinary experiences that will reinvent the BBC for a new generation.
You will have the specialist skills needed to design and develop spatial and immersive multi-modal services and experience of working in the games industry.
You’ll join a centre of excellence for user experience and design, working with the best in the business. Collaborating strategically with technical, editorial and product teams from across the BBC, you are able to harness innovation and new technology to create delightful experiences.
Your strong UX and UI design capabilities will be complemented by a solid foundation of development skills enabling you to prototype for emerging technologies such as VR and AR. You have a clear understanding of how all these skills interrelate to each other to bring new experiences to life.
You are able to learn new things quickly and comfortable with change and motivated by using technology as a means to achieve creative solutions that meet user needs.
You pride yourself on adaptability, switching between design thinking and a development mentality as the project requires. Working hand-in-hand with developers, designing, prototyping, experimenting and stretching technology to surprise and excite people is your forte
- Working alongside other UX designers, developers, researchers and architects
- You will help to organise, facilitate and contribute to workshops (for idea generation or requirements gathering)
- Assist with concept development through sketching and storyboarding
- Plan and execute functioning prototypes to a range of fidelity: from rapid to more elaborate depending on the task
- Contribute to planning and creating material for user research
- Work with third parties to deliver production-ready experiences that meet a high level of quality
- Help to inform the overall strategy of our department through industry and technical insight
- Collaborate with a range of teams and disciplines, working together to create experiences that serve all of our audiences
- Help to disseminate knowledge of innovative user experience concepts and emerging technologies throughout the organisation through communications, talks and training
The Ideal Candidate
The list of required skills for this role is necessarily broad so as to be flexible and ready to adapt, but there is an emphasis on experience and skills in the areas of VR, AR and 3D modelling.
- Experience designing and developing for spatial and immersive XR experiences (both mobile and headset based).
- Experience in games design
- Experience in animation and motion design - Adobe AE, Maya or equivalent software packages.
- Working with developers to creating experiences using games engines like Unity and/or Unreal.
- Digital 3D model making. Whether you use Maya, 3DS Max, Blender, Cinema 4D etc. there is an emphasis on creating optimised assets for use in other environments.
- Prototyping with WebXR and related frameworks
- Experience working in multidisciplinary teams (including designers, developers, product managers) to conceptualise and deliver great experiences.
- Experience communicating with people in and out of the design / development fields
- Experience of working in a range of emerging technology fields with demonstrable results in creating innovative experiences.
- Experience with general web technologies and frameworks for prototyping
In addition to sending us your CV, please use the application form to give specific examples of things you have done that demonstrate that you have the knowledge, skills, training and experience we are looking for, as described above.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here