Fancy working on a new product?
This is a great opportunity to join a small and dynamic multi-discipline, multi-national team focused on bringing the best of the BBC to new audiences. You will be responsible for helping to define the user experience from the ground up, responding to research findings and help to build a service that our audience will love. The project will be released on multiple platforms which will include, Web, Mobile and TV.
As part of the BBC UX&D team, you will be supported by the wider community and have BBC GEL (Global Experience Language) as your guide. to learn more about UX&D at the BBC follow this link to our website called GEL (Global Experience Language) and check out some of our videos with the teams:
- Be the voice of the user in project teams, explaining your rationale to developers, editorial staff and product managers
- Collaborate with other members of User Experience & Design to get to the heart of what our users need: creating sketches, concepts, user journeys, wireframes, and navigational prototypes
- Engage the wider team and key stakeholders in the user-centred design process, ensuring that user research is at the heart of design decision making
- Work with people across UX&D to make sure we’re making the most of the BBC’s Global Experience Language (GEL)
- Instigate projects, prioritise your own workload, and plan the work of other UX colleagues in your team
- You take a broader view – approaching design conceptually and thinking about the whole experience across multiple screens and touchpoint.
- Help organise formal user research and proactively try out ideas and designs with people on the street to make sure we’re meeting real user needs
- Support a positive working environment that considers the needs of a diverse team
The Ideal Candidate
Our Senior UX roles encompass the fields of Designer, Information Architect, Writer, and Design Researcher. For this particular position, we’re looking for strong skills in interaction design, visual design, creative facilitation, branding and typography.
Service design is a growth area, and we welcome those with the skills and curiosity to understand the why, what and how of people and make sure that’s communicated effectively. Or maybe you've got something special up your sleeve, like top skills in illustration, motion graphic design or prototype building. Our team's made up of a diverse range of people, skills, and experience, so we'd love to hear about you and yours.
We’d love for you to have previously managed external agencies and freelancers. This is needed to incorporate new perspectives and collaborate on new ideas towards the fantastic work we do here.
Your portfolio is full of consistently great work across different screens and experiences – be they on mobile, connected TV, tablet, desktop or connected device. Any experience in apps that you can show would be highly beneficial to this exciting opportunity
Whether you learned your skills on a design degree or on the job, you're comfortable using them to explain design concepts to anyone, no matter how senior or inexperienced. And you know how to balance what the user needs with what's really achievable. You're enthusiastic, curious and full of ideas. You keep up to speed with the latest design trends and technology developments. And you’re constantly fascinated by what people really need, and how we can create the right experience for them.
Contract type: 12 month fixed term contract/attachment
Location: London, Salford or Glasgow
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here