We design the BBC’s amazing digital experiences, from apps to websites, from iPlayer to CBeebies.
Our ace team of UX designers, information architects, researchers and writers work with people from across the BBC, especially product, editorial and tech. Together we create elegant, delightful experiences that wow audiences and win awards.
You’ll work in a team creating new BBC experiences for conversational user interfaces (or smart speakers), such as Amazon Alexa.
In a typical day, you might:
- Turn complex concepts or journeys into clear, concise, compelling copy. And consider things like tone, clarity, and flow along the way.
- Help to shape tone of voice or style guidelines. And work with people across the BBC to make sure we're sticking to them.
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, product managers, marketers and engineers.
- Try out your ideas through user testing and research, to make sure they’re meeting real audience needs and are pitched at the right level.
- Share writing expertise and ideas with people from design, product, editorial and tech teams.
- Help colleagues to become better writers, be it by helping to run training or just setting a good example.
- Consider accessibility requirements – to better understand and cater for the broad range of audience needs.
The Ideal Candidate
You’ve done great writing work for all sorts of digital experiences, be they websites, chatbots, apps or games. Or maybe something new we’ve never even heard of. And you’ve got the portfolio to prove it.
Yes, you can hammer out headlines and fine-tune CTAs till the cows come home. But you also consider the overall user journey and how the right word choice, tone and narrative flow can make everything sing.
Ideas? You’re full of them, and a whizz at sharing them with absolutely anyone, be they writers, designers or tech-minded developers. So you’re always ready to try out different styles, tones and approaches to get the best results.
You’re enthusiastic and curious about the possibilities of digital writing. And you see every situation as a chance to learn something new.
You’ve got at least three years experience writing for digital. But more importantly you’re fascinated by how words and the ways we use them can help create better digital experiences.
Oh, and you spotted the typo in that last paragraph straight away.
Grade 7 (Proposed Band C)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.