User Experience (UX) Designer
BBC R&D has a worldwide reputation for leading the research and development of many key internet, broadcast and media technologies. This role is in the Internet Research & Future Services (IRFS) team of BBC R&D. Our work focuses on media, the internet and user experiences. We build systems and prototypes, carry out original research and solve problems for the BBC. We work in small, multidisciplinary teams of developers, designers and producers across emerging digital technologies.
We are based in central London but can offer some flexibility in working arrangements.
- Be the voice of UX in project teams, explaining your design rationale to developers, editorial staff and product managers.
- Help organise user research and proactively try out ideas and designs with people on the street to make sure we’re meeting real user needs.
- Instigate projects and prioritise your own workload.
- Collaborate with other members of IRFS to get to the heart of what our users need, creating sketches, concepts, user journeys, wireframes and navigational prototypes.
- Inspire and encourage colleagues to create coherent user experiences across multiple screens.
- Work with people across UX&D to make sure we’re making the most of the BBC’s Global Experience Language.
The Ideal Candidate
Your portfolio’s full of consistently great work across different screens, be they mobile, connected TV, tablet or desktop. Now you’re ready to take all that experience and expertise and use it to inspire others.
Yes, you can craft delightful designs. But you know improving user experiences isn’t just about grafting away at the drawing board. You take a broader view – approaching design conceptually and thinking about the whole experience across digital media.
You care as much about user research as you do about the user experience and will help define and run research session throughout a project.
You’ll like a design challenge. In R&D we cover many different types of projects, from experimenting with Raspberry Pis to building innovative voice UIs to designing new article formats. With this in mind you’ll relish the opportunity to understand different technologies, help identify meaningful user needs and insights, and design elegant experiences.
You might tend towards wireframes, user flows and personas. Or layout, colour and typography. Our team is made up of a diverse range of people, skills and experience, so we’d love to hear about you and yours.
You’re enthusiastic, curious and full of ideas. You keep up to speed with the latest design trends and technology developments. And you’re constantly fascinated by what people really need, and how we can create the right experience to give it to them.
12 Months FTC
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.