***You must be authorized to work in the United States to be considered for this role.
At BBC News, we aim to help people understand the world around them, make informed choices, and take an active part in society and democracy. As we expand our footprint to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism in North America, we are seeking motivated, passionate, high performing individuals across a variety of skillsets to join our global team. Our primary locations are New York, Washington DC, and London, though as a distributed workforce we are open to applicants in any location where the BBC has a commercial presence.
Join us and be an essential part of the world’s most trusted news gathering organization.
Purpose of the role
Managing proactive, strategic external communications and stakeholder affairs for BBC News as we expand our footprint in North America to meet increasing demand for our style of quality and impartial journalism. Responsible for driving BBC News' communication strategies, delivering high impact campaigns and promoting and protecting the BBC Studios’ corporate reputation.
- Set and be accountable for the delivery of strategic communications support for BBC News’ digital efforts in North America, supporting broader departmental and corporate strategies.
- Underpin delivery of the business plans through consistent, timely communications and support; providing the full range of solutions.
- Support and advise relevant stakeholders on issues, as appropriate, liaising as necessary with relevant parties.
- Support the running of social media channels and assist with the production of assets for use online and in social media.
Scope & Impact
- Acts as the first point of referral within the team for sensitive or difficult press enquiries relating to digital news or for problems arising from the day to day management of the team, and advising whether upward referral is necessary and, if so, the appropriate route.
- Be responsible for the management of the allocated budget within established and agreed guidelines, to include expenditure on press events, printed material, technical facilities, hospitality etc.
- Ensure best practice, mandatory processes and standards and values contained in the Communications Editorial Compliance & Best Practice Guide and the BBC Editorial Guidelines are followed within their region.
- Manage the work of their team, to ensure strong and creative planning and delivery of Press and PR activity in support of agreed business priorities.
- Provide management information, reports and statistics as required. Ensure systems are in place to evaluate impact of work and distribute best practice and lessons to learn.
- Provide reputation and issues management across a specific area, working in close conjunction with other senior leaders within the communications team and wider BBC studios team.
- Manage and motivate a professional team, which supports the departmental goals and overall Communications objectives.
The Ideal Candidate
As a global business, diversity, equity, and inclusion among team members is essential to our success. We therefore encourage highly skilled candidates from traditionally under-represented groups to submit their applications, even if they don’t check absolutely every box on our list of desired work experience.
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong IT skills, with the ability to adapt to new IT systems.
- A high level of interpersonal skills sufficient to enable the post holder to establish and maintain credibility and effective working relationships with and influence a wide range of contacts – journalists, senior management, editorial staff, talent, etc.
- Proven record of achievement in the publicity, media and/or public relations and journalistic spheres.
- Record of success in managing and motivating a team, using resources effectively.
- News sense with ability to write clear and lively press releases, which stimulates both press and public interest.
- Proven experience and understanding of current marketing and communications thinking, practice and techniques, including audience research and social media.
- Ability to build strong editorial contacts across all spectrums of the British media including digital/social media.
- Competitive Compensation Package
- 100% Employer-Paid Medical and Dental Insurance (PPO plans)
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Flexible, Hybrid Working Arrangements
- Work/life balance
- Free Retirement Consulting to All Employees
- Pet Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Free Peloton App Membership
- Gym Reimbursement
- Bagel Mondays, Thirsty Thursdays, and more!
COVID Vaccination Disclosure: BBC Studios is committed to the safety and well-being of our employees, contractors, and guests. We follow federal, state, and local guidelines regarding vaccination and testing requirements across our office locations.
Our New York office requires all staff, contractors, and guests to be fully vaccinated and to submit proof of vaccination.
For other locations, a negative COVID-19 test may be submitted weekly if an individual is not fully vaccinated.
Please note that most roles require an in-office presence of two days a week as part of our hybrid/flexible working arrangement.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here