In the Americas, BBC Studios – with team members across North and South America – manages joint venture relationships with AMC Networks for flagship channel BBC AMERICA (U.S.) – home of original series Killing Eve and global brands Seven Worlds: One Planet, Doctor Who, and Top Gear and with ITV for SVoD service BritBox (U.S./Canada), as well as a strategic partnership in Canada with Blue Ant Media for BBC Earth Channel. The company also conducts a robust content sales and co-productions with key regional channels and global platforms, in addition to licensing, consumer products, and learning businesses. Out of Los Angeles, BBC Studios operates a major production unit responsible for the highly-rated, Emmy®-nominated Dancing with the Stars and the multi-award-winning Life Below Zero franchise, among other titles. In Brazil, through a production partnership with Endemol Shine, local production Dancing Brasil is a breakout hit. Up next: BBC Studios will launch digital streaming channel, BBC SELECT in the U.S. and Canada early 2021.
BBC Studios is looking for a business focused HR leader. Reporting to the SVP of HR this role will be leading a team of 5.
The VP is responsible for leading the HR activities of the Americas region for BBC Studios; bringing evidence-based practice into the organization and addressing any people challenges.
You will be someone who can support the organization effectiveness by developing and implementing solutions aligned to strategy and to enable the growth of the organization.
You will have experience in leading a HR vision, including role modelling great personal and team leadership and taking an active role in ensuring the HR Operating Model is embedded successfully throughout the business.
At BBC Studios we are committed to well-being. Flexible working is available and encouraged.
- Contribute to, and where accountable, define policies and processes that support the BBC Studios America strategy and objectives.
- Use and understand BBC tools and policies, engaging with divisional clients effectively to ensure their use across the organization.
- Play an active role in attracting, managing and developing talent to support current and future organizational needs.
- Coach, motivate and develop a team of talented HR professionals.
- Work closely with all BBC HR colleagues to ensure that tools and policies are aligned, enhance employee engagement and ultimately improve performance.
- Use data and analytics to measure the effectiveness of tools and policies and understand the landscape for further improvement.
- Provide specialist input across a range of HR issues, including but not limited to Employee Relations, Reward and Diversity and Inclusion.
- Coach and build the capability of senior managers to anticipate and pre-empt organizational issues.
- Participate in projects, leading and promoting the BBC’s reputation as a global organization and employer of choice.
- Keep up to date with external trends and best practice in their specialist area and HR more broadly.
- Continuously motivate improvements in tools and policies through external market trends, insight and internal best practice.
- Proactively share best practice, intelligence and potential pan-BBC activities within HR function.
- Build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice and stakeholders to scan for innovations and opportunities to form partnerships.
- Understand and anticipate the need for change, diagnose the underlying issues and make the case for change with stakeholders. Build frameworks to plan and manage the continuous process of change including dependencies, risk, potential scenarios ad options to mitigate.
- Be an ambassador for the function and represent the BBC HR internally and externally (as appropriate).
The Ideal Candidate
At BBC Studios, we seek people who are passionate about who we are and what we do.
- Relevant HR experience gained in America in large complex organization(s) with multiple stakeholders (including matrix relationships) is essential.
- Deep knowledge of ER legislation in NY and CN and a solid understanding of HR operational needs and risks in these states.
- Extensive experience of operating in a business partner model, working with local managers to create positive business outcomes.
- D&I focused with a proven track record of implementing inspiring people plans focused on culture
- Communicates challenges and influences a variety of stakeholders effectively. Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
- Adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Is able to understand and appreciate different perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organization or job requirements.
- Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships and construct frameworks, for decision making and problem-solving. Transforms proposals/ideas into practical reality.
- Knowledge of current thinking in HR issues and trends and evidence of on-going professional development.
- Team management experience and an inclusive and motivational style
- High initiative and able to take decisive action.
- Maintains a calm and effective approach when dealing with difficult situations.
- Understands the value drivers of the BBC, is commercially aware and is passionate about our content.
- Acts as an ambassador for BBC values and behaviors.
- Exposure to international businesses and stakeholders is advantageous
- Experience within content distribution business is also advantageous
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here