Vice President, Scripted Sales & Co-Productions
Working to the SVP, the Vice President will be responsible for managing sales and co-production activity within the fiction genres – drama, comedy and children’s - with designated clients across both television and digital. They will need to deliver consistently against a stretching business plan and budget, maximizing exploitation and profitability of the BBC Studios Catalogue through licensing and co-producing programme rights within the US territory for television and video-on-demand.
- Achieve net sales target
- Achieve net contribution on target, defined as net sales less operating costs
- Contribute to generating year-on-year growth of the business
To keep in constant contact with all key US buyers pitching upcoming programmes –for both TV and SVOD sales and co-productions within the drama, comedy and children’s genre.
The VP will be primarily accountable for:
- Sales and co-productions of drama and comedy programming to assigned TV and digital partners
- Sales and co-productions of children’s programming to all TV and digital partners
- Managerial responsibility of the Co-ordinator
To work closely with the BBC Studios Content team in the UK, as well as independent producers and those within the BBC in order to better serve the US market and provide feedback to the UK – the VP will need to have a developed understanding of how the UK television business works, particularly the BBC. They should also have an understanding of, and enthusiasm for scripted programming.
The VP will be required to travel to domestic clients, and attendance of some key international TV markets and some visits to UK will also be required.
- Foster and maintain close contact with the clients’ (TV and SVOD) and appropriate UK producers, and build close relationships with them
- Work closely with key personnel within BBC Studios Content, as well as some BBC production teams and independent production companies in the UK, acting as key contact for US clients
- Actively seek and develop new sales opportunities (e.g. packages, branded slots, channel potential), and to forge new relationships with new television channels
- Develop strong, communicative working relationships with BBCSA Digital Distribution and BBC Studios in the UK
- Manage the business relationship between BBCS and its clients through regular contact, and to act at all times as an ambassador for the BBC
- Up to date knowledge of the US television and digital market, programming requirements and changing consumer profiles, and competitor activity in the territory
- A strong understanding of how the television industry works in the UK, particularly in relation to the BBC
- Develop an excellent knowledge of BBC programming within the drama and children’s genres, and of the television landscape in both the UK and the US
- Attend and actively participate in some major television markets and local television markets, and conduct sales trips in the territory
- Monitor changes in the market, particularly in relation to changes within the SVOD landscape, and adapt sales strategy accordingly to maximise exploitation of all rights and maximize profitability
- Carefully negotiate the best possible programme slot and terms (including pricing, license period, windowing and payment plan) with the most desirable broadcaster; to ensure that the ancillary rights achieve their maximum revenue potential, taking advise from the SVP where necessary
- Ensure that commercial criteria are rigorously applied to all contracts, thereby maximising revenue and profit for BBC Studios Americas
- Ensure that television deals are negotiated in the best possible way that digital revenues can also be maximised
- Review contracts working closely with Business & Legal Affairs team
- Ensure that all necessary clearances are in place (via Co-ordinator) and that contracts concluded are profitable to BBC Studios
Sales Performance & Reporting Accountability:
- Contribute/feed in to the preparation of the genre business plan and annual forecasts as appropriate
- Identify the client need for new programming, and the potential for co-production partnership, and be responsible for the promotion and sales of the BBC catalogue with designated clients
- Achieve pre-established sales contribution targets
- Provide monthly sales reports on performance and ad hoc reports as directed by the SVP
- Provide forecasting information in a timely manner, and “best estimate” sales projections on new titles under consideration
- Develop new client base from emerging cable markets
- Deliver increased revenues from back catalogue titles
- To ensure clients are kept informed of all new program releases through pitching/ presentations and close communication
- Deliver sophisticated sales / pitch materials, and negotiate promotion terms for all sales with relevant clients
NATURE AND SCOPE
Dealing with complex negotiations and wide ranging customers across TV and SVOD and an understanding of the complexities of windowing structures between TV and digital and what that means to the future value of the business. Need a strong knowledge of a vast catalogue of BBC programmes as well as a comprehensive understanding of how the UK television industry works.
Planning and Organisation
Provide regular sales projections in relation to sales targets. Managerial responsibility of one direct report.
Work closely with customers and internal departments to maintain strong working relationships, working particularly with the SVP, Senior Manager and Co-ordinator within the Scripted Sales and Co-Productions team.
Are you the right candidate?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum five years experience at executive level within programme distribution
- In-depth understanding of the UK television industry, in particular the BBC
- Proven track record of working with producers (both indies and BBC ideally) and an understanding of the challenges facing producers with respect to financing programming
- Experience of working on drama, comedy and/or children’s programming, and of working with scripts is essential
- Experience of working in TV sales or acquisitions essential; co-productions experience would also be beneficial
- Knowledge of US television and SVOD market, and an understanding of the complexities that exist between the two
- First class negotiation and presentation skills with experience in pitching and complex negotiations
- Effective communicator
- Good team player, and managerial experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here