BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 468 million globally, including TV, digital platforms, radio, digital satellite and cable channels.
BBC News Thai is part of the 16 services of the Asia Region and is spread across Bangkok and London. The multimedia service has a thriving online and social media presence.
The BBC World Service’s Thai Service is a well-known and highly respected news service in Thailand, providing up-to-date news and current affairs in Thai and covering both domestic and international news stories. It is multi-platform, with a multimedia website with a focus on digital video, text, interactivity for both desktop and mobile platforms. The service aims to make international news relevant to Thai audience, and bring international perspectives to bear on Thailand and global developments. Our service brings quality, impartial, original journalism with news and current affairs to the Thai speaking region.
The Video Journalist will be responsible for gathering and producing original video for our website, Facebook and YouTube platforms as well as overseeing live video for our interactive programmes.
You will be also responsible for originating creative and innovative ways of storytelling and implementing them for BBC News Thai, especially for consumption on website, Facebook and YouTube. Along with supporting BBC Thai’s editorial team in content production, whenever necessary.
Where required you'll be asked to remote produce social and digital content produced by stringers so that the final output is of highest quality. Also be able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people for video gathering in Thailand where the Service may not have access to on a regular basis.
You will also be tasked to perform as a presenter in explainer videos targeting YouTube audiences.
Finally you'll be reporting to the BBC Thai’s Desk Editor in Bangkok and the Service Editor in London and expected to work flexibly.
The Ideal Candidate
To be considered for this role you will need the following;
- You must have fluency in written and spoken Thai language and a high comprehension of English is an advantage.
- Must have experience in creating and curating social and digital content in Thai language, as well as a good feel for strong and distinctive stories.
- Knowledge of Thailand’s current affairs, social life, and Thai language as native speaker, ability to edit video contents including texts, captions and graphics in that language.
- Basic skills of shooting photo and video, and of gathering journalistic material through other technical means.
- Knowledge of video editing principles and experience with Final Cut or Adobe Premier or other video editing software. Proficiency in IT skills, including Microsoft Office programmes.
- Practical experience and extensive knowledge of the Internet and an understanding of the potential of new technology is essential as well as an eagerness to master and use new technologies.
Contract: Full time Permanent
Local terms and conditions apply
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Bangkok.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here