Video R&D Engineer
At BBC R&D, we create innovative ways in which people will be informed and entertained in the future and work out how to deliver services to our viewers using the latest technology.
We are currently looking for a talented Video R&D Engineer to join us in shaping the video coding and delivery solutions of the future.
You will be part of a supportive and collaborative team focused on investigating and developing new technology for compression and distribution of high quality media. As part of your role you will:
- Apply creative thinking to find innovative ways to improve video coding solutions
- Develop efficient code to produce and test prototype implementations
- Evaluate technology by means of experiments and lab tests, and creatively analyse data to gain insights to refine and improve algorithms
- Apply the latest scientific breakthroughs in innovative and out-of-the-box ways to contribute to the conception and optimisation of technology
- Help identifying promising research and evaluating new tools for media compression, processing and delivery
- Effectively present your work in standardisation forums, conferences or trade shows
Are you the right candidate?
A degree (or equivalent experience) in electronic engineering, computer science, maths, physics or other relevant science or engineering disciplines. A Master degree or a PhD related to video compression or multimedia signal processing would be an advantage.
Knowledge of multimedia signal processing and multimedia communication principles.
Good research skills. Preferably, experience in a role involving research and development of technology, designing experiments, and applying a methodological approach to problem solving in R&D tasks.
Preferably, an understanding of the factors affecting the performance of image and/or video compression; awareness of media standards and formats used in content distribution.
Good software skills, preferably in C++, ideally in research-related projects.
Excellent mathematical skills, strong technical writing skills and good presentation skills.
Knowledge or experience of one or more of the following would be beneficial:
- Modern or upcoming video coding standards, including MPEG standards such as H.264 / AVC, H/265 / HEVC, Versatile Video Coding (VVC) from JVET, AOMedia AV1 etc.
- Understanding of video quality assessment tools and metrics.
- In-hand experience with understanding, modifying and implementing new features within video codec software such as JM, HM, VTM, x264, x265 etc.
- Experience working with standard bodies to set new industry standards.
- Experience working with compression of non-2D video signals including Point Cloud Compression (PCC), 360 degree video coding etc.
- Familiarity with video processing algorithms such as denoising, super-resolution, tone mapping, scaling, etc. and/or machine learning applied to multimedia processing.
- Experience in understanding patents and drafting patent applications.
- A track record of publishing in scientific publications and/or presenting at conferences.
- Experience with data analysis using Python or similar, and with multimedia processing software such as FFmpeg.
- Knowledge of video streaming protocols and adaptive bitrate technologies (e.g. MPEG-DASH, HLS).
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here