BBC Worldwides portfolio of franchise and genre brands exist to extend the enjoyment of global audiences favourite programmes and includes the longest running sci-fi TV show in the world Doctor Who; the world-renowned entertainment format Dancing With The Stars which has over 50 international versions; the most successful motoring entertainment show in the world Top Gear, which has been sold to over 220 territories; and the leading factual umbrella brand BBC Earth, which amplifies landmark natural history titles such as Planet Earth II as well as overseeing live events, web activity and giant screen experiences associated with the brand.
Thisrole is responsible for programming content for BBC Worldwides channels on YouTube. This includes the implementation of audience development strategies and other optimisations to increase reach and engagement for BBC Worldwides key brands on the video platform.
- Run the day-to-day operation of the agreed number of YouTube channels; proactively use YouTube optimisation and curation tools to create compelling brand experiences.
- Write copy relating to the videos programmed for the channels to either appear on the site or for use in promotion elsewhere. Devise and deploy optimal written metadata including titles and tags.
- Oversee the overall look and design of the channels and any other relevant visual metadata such as thumbnails.
- Respond to comments and messages posted on the sites, where appropriate and in line with Editorial Standards guidelines.
- Create and implement a schedule of when clips should be set live, in accordance with the editorial vision for the channels, an understanding of what video works on YouTube, required rights/holdback requirements, workflow issues, as well as other contractual obligations, and cross platform promotional and marketing campaigns.
- Ensure that before clips are published that they have appropriate rights clearances and other business metadata (e.g. Product IDs) are up to date and stored in the relevant databases.
- Work with the relevant producers / editors to ensure clips are suitable for publishing specifically on YouTube (including CTAs that make the most of the on-platform tools)
- Carry out basic edits to adapt material for the platform (when required)
Relationships and Communication
- Develop day-to-day relationships with internal teams (e.g. Global Brands, regional marketing teams etc.) to ensure that the activity on YouTube is working towards overall BBC Worldwide business goals.
- Build a relationship with our YouTube contacts and within the wider digital video industry to ensure BBC Worldwide is utilising YouTube to the best of its abilities and we are making the most of all tools and opportunities that we can.
Scope & Impact
Sitting in the Global Brands division, this role has a direct reporting line in to the Senior YouTube Channel Manager.
The role main objective is to drive reach and engagement, and therefore revenue, to meet audience KPIs on YouTube and contribute to any financial targets that may be contractually required.
Strategic Planning & Decision Making
There are established precedents for the day-to-day operation of the YouTube network, but as consumer behaviour and the platform itself adapt, so will our procedures and decision-making processes.
Decisions made by the YouTube Executive will normally only affect short-term thinking such as responses to community activity, content that is appropriate to playlist and the way that we launch and re-surface clips.
Schedule planning will require more long term planning and will have ramifications for a 3-6 month period, but that will be in conjunction with and ultimately supported by the Senior YouTube Channel Manager and/or the relevant brands teams.
Within BBC Worldwide, this role will work very closely within the Global Brands division, specifically with the rest of the Digital Marketing team and franchise brand teams. They may also be required to work with people external to the direct team including, but not limited to: regional marketing teams, consumer products, external websites as well as various people at BBC public service.
The YouTube Executive will also be expected to develop external relationships within the YouTube Creator community both with creators themselves and other broadcasters, production companies or multi-channel networks. These relationships should lead to an increase in collaborations and integration into the YouTube platform itself.
Are you the right candidate?
Knowledge & Skills
Have the ability to generate ideas and concepts independently as well as working within a team.
Have knowledge of working within a commercial environment and an understanding of delivering projects that are comercially viable.
Be fluent in English and have proven writing skills with regards to both factual content (e.g. web copy & descriptions) as well as writing in a tone of voice for social media updates.
Be computer literate and have at least a basic knowledge of working with spreadsheets and other core office software.
Basic video editing skills would be useful but not essential.
Have an understanding of the broader digital landscape (outside of YouTube) and a proven interest in keeping up to date with developments in web platforms and applications.
- Have previously worked with online video, social media or ideally the YouTube platform itself. This could have been at a multi-channel network, a broadcaster, a production company or as a standalone YouTube creator.
- Have a proven understanding of the current global digital landscape outside of YouTube, including relevant online locations for popular video sharing sites and popular social networks.
- Previous experience of working with archive content would be useful.
- Basic understanding of the production process of television / video would be useful.