Director, Creative Diversity
At the BBC we want Diversity and Inclusion to be a natural part of what we do, embedded in our culture, and in our commissioning and creative processes. We have made great progress, but there is more to do.
To support this aim, we are introducing the role of Director of Creative Diversity; with the remit of focusing on initiatives related to on-air talent portrayal, commissioning, monitoring and reporting to further strengthen a culture at the BBC of Diversity and Inclusion.
Reporting to the Group Managing Director, this is an exciting opportunity to champion diversity in the creative community and to work with key industry stakeholders to deliver the BBC’s on-screen diversity ambitions. Working closely alongside the Workforce Diversity & Inclusion team within HR, this role will be a crucial part of the BBC’s ambitious Diversity & Inclusion strategy.
The Director, Creative Diversity is responsible for overseeing the overall on-air diversity and inclusion strategies across output; overseeing the planning, development, implementation of initiatives related to on-air talent portrayal, commissioning guidelines, diverse audience panels, monitoring and reporting that will further strengthen a culture of diversity and inclusion.
The role will serve as a brand ambassador and champion within the media industry and business, increasing awareness and influencing the broad creative diversity agenda. Representing the organisation on relevant external boards the Director, Creative Diversity will support the business on all aspects of on screen output and will provide expertise on all on air diversity matters using specialist knowledge for specific protected characteristic groups.
Additional Information on Role:
- Serve as BBC brand ambassador and champion within media industry, business community and government, increasing awareness and influencing the broad creative diversity agenda
- Represent the BBC on relevant boards and organisations
- Develop strong partnering and successful working relationships with industry related bodies and affinity groups
- Be open and available to creative communities, emergent companies and talent ensuring creative diversity is fully inclusive, increasing awareness of issues for diverse talent
- Work with the BBC Leadership and Communications Director to build a cohesive communications strategy which ensure that the BBC’s commitments and actions are visible and understood by our audiences
Strategic Development & Change Agent
- Working closely and collaboratively with Directors of Content, Studios, Radio & Education,News, Nations & Regions and their leadership teams to drive best practices
- Develop strategies which support both on-air and production talent representation and portrayal across the BBC and its’ partners to ensure the ambitions of the BBC are met
- Drive the BBC commissioning guidelines agenda, monitor their effectiveness, ensure outcomes are delivered and refine as appropriate
- Develop leading edge standards of measurement, beyond analytics and reporting, which demonstrate impact and value of the function
- Champion an open culture, develop pioneering diversity and inclusion initiatives that support and develop new talent and content makers, working across all BBC output and platforms
Functional & Operational Leader
- Align divisional management with on air objectives, ensure creative diversity is embedded and evidenced through business performance
- Work closely with in-house BBC commissioning providing in-house expertise to support BBC drive for creative innovation
- Work with the Customer Relationship function, review existing audience panel processes that are in place to ensure they fully capture direct audience feedback on BBC output and that all under-represented audience groups are represented
- Act as the focal point for queries arising from Ofcom regarding the BBC’s creative teams
- Work with our industry partners to deliver DIAMOND, an industry-wide monitoring database system which will measure the diversity profile of the workforce on UK productions, on and off-air
- Work in conjunction with the relevant in-house teams delivering KPIs and insights on progress against diversity targets and performance metrics; develop action plans to address areas of deficiency so that improvements can be made in a timely manner
- Liaise closely with HR function specifically Centre of Excellence teams of Workforce Diversity & Inclusion, Leadership & Development, New Talent and Resourcing to co-create initiatives and programmes to enhance the advancement of creative talent across the BBC
Are you the right candidate?
You will have experience as a senior programme maker, bringing with you a deep understanding and experience of diversity & inclusion issues within the creative community, and the importance of the role of diversity & inclusion in achieving creative success.
You will be passionate and committed to making a difference and able to work at a strategic level, able to engage senior leaders in the delivery against BBC diversity targets and engender a passion for diversity in these leaders. Well networked within the TMT industry, with a comprehensive understanding of public broadcasting requirements, you’ll be a strong influencer who can communicate your strategic vision with energy and enthusiasm.
You will have excellent communication skills to support relationship building both inside and outside of the BBC at a senior level, and you’ll look for opportunities to forge partnerships at a variety of levels. A confident public speaker, you will also have good collaboration skills, allowing you to work effectively across a range of teams and adaptable in managing change.
For more information on this role or discuss your interest please email Catherine.Hearn@BBC.co.uk
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Ideally London but open
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday (including 1 corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here